Attachment and rejection



One of my online friends is having a terrible time. I did not quite grasp the whole situation, it has been going on for some time and I have not followed it through all the stages of its development.  What seems to be truly vexing her is rejection. As I understand it, she desperately wants someone's friendship and the other person does not want her and feels no doubt even less inclined to be her friend simply because she is asking to be accepted (there is always in such instances a bit of power play). It's all being played out on the megasite where I have an account. The girl is distraught and writes heart rending journals in which she now threatens suicide, now begs for this person's friendship, always ending with a cry for help.
I am deeply disturbed by this reaction. There is no question that my online friend is genuinely distressed and needs a helping hand, maybe seeing a counsellor could assist  her in  tackling the root of the problem.  Inveighing against her as the other party and friends seem to be doing is not conducive to healing, nor are the endless comments flippantly left by people that by and large are not interested in her, do not know her and are simply enjoying the opportunity to vent their opinions or their own frustration.  As this is happening online and there is considerable physical distance, I am powerless, there is little I can do for her apart from sending her one or two comforting notes.
Learning about rejection and how we handle it is part of my psychotherapy training and it is therefore something I have been reflecting upon, an interest rekindled by reading about this distressing situation.  Who has not been through rejection? It is part of the human experience and one needs to look at one's childhood  in order to understand how each of us learns to cope with it.  Some of us have had painful experiences as children, not necessarily deeply traumatic ones, but nevertheless experiences that have left their mark and this may have fostered in us a deep fear of being rejected, which in turn can put a strain on our adult relationships.


One of the theories that has had a great impact in understanding child development and later adult interrelationships is that of attachment, formulated by English psychiatrist and psychoanalyst J. Bowlby. Although it was initially not well received by the psychoanalytic community because it seemed to counter some of the basic tenets of psychoanalysis, attachment theory has long been accepted in mainstream psychology and is one of the core theories informing a number of therapies.
What is attachment? In a nutshell, it is an affectional bond between an individual and an attachment figure - in relationships, attachment and the emotions associated with it form a motivating force.  In attachment theory there is no such a thing as complete independence from others, there is only effective and ineffective dependency. Secure dependency fosters autonomy, the more securely connected we are the more autonomous and independent we will be. This means that what we achieve in well adjusted relationships (or aim to achieve) is interdependence rather than self sufficiency and separateness.
In observing children and their relationship with their principal carer - usually but not exclusively the biological mother - Bowlby noted that the physical presence of the carer was not in itself indicative of  a secure attachment bond. Indifference and unresponsiveness to the child's emotional needs can be communicated to the child even whilst physically present, with devastating effects on the child's development.


According to psychotherapist Pedro Campiao:
"If attachment behaviours fail to evoke comforting responsiveness and contact from attachment figures, a prototypical process of angry protest, clinging, depression and despair occurs, culminating eventually in detachment. Depression is a natural response to loss of connection. Bowlby viewed anger in close relationships as often being an attempt to make contact with an inaccessible attachment figure and distinguished between anger of hope and the anger of despair, which becomes desperate and coercive".
I do not mean to offer any online psychotherapy advice to my friend, not knowing her circumstances in full. My psychotherapy specialty involves working through issues through movement and metaphors, so it could not be done online not even if I were fully qualified to practise (and I am not quite there). All I am trying to do is gather some thoughts about attachment and rejection, as I am preparing to write an essay. Attachment theory has to some extent helped me to understand  my own dramas and the sense of utter doom they contributed to, as well as the memory of past traumas they triggered off. 


I do feel for my online friend. Ephemeral though they may be, online friendships are increasingly playing a significant role in our lives. Sometimes for someone so distressed online contact is the only one  possible. All I can say to her is please speak with a qualified counsellor. And remember that by working on yourself you will eventually be able to achieve healthy friendships/relationships.
Attachment and rejection: no one put it more succinctly than John Lennon, below.

(All photos by Marcello Pozzetti and modelled by Alex B.)

Comments

  1. Alex, if you read my post this morning http://drlightness.blogspot.com, you will see it doesn't always pay to reach out to help someone you don't personally know. We have no idea who these people are and what their situations might be and how they will respond to our attempts to help them. It's just not a good idea, and I'm done with such efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if I wanted to I would not be able to do anything. I used this example to reflect on the issue of attachment and rejection. I am sorry about what happened to you. On the other hand when someone threatens to commit suicide we cannot just totally dismiss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might look up the number for a suicide hotline or help center in her area of the world and suggest she seek professional help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the hardest thing for us who care deeply about people--not just certain individuals but people in the aggregate--is knowing that someone is going downhill and not being able to do anything about it. I don't minimize this person's sufferings at all; of course they're real--yet s/he has to find his/her own way out, as I'm sure you're discovering, Alex, through your training. All we can do is encourage and suggest; and often our suggestions sound like thrice-told tales to the ones who really need help...

    Again, I like these pictures! I especially like the first one, an intriguing, dreamlike image, as if we see you going out having forgotten you were only half-dressed; and the last one, where you wear your dishabille as if it were your normal outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jochanaan. I like these pictures too, you can see the entire set on my photographic blog at Tumblr, url on the right hand column.
    I do care about people and I am upset when I see them going downhill, I so wish I could do something. Sometimes these people will turn against you and vent their anger on you and it can be very hard. Hopefully this person will find her way out. Thanks for the kind words

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have known a number of people who have been through significant traumas. People who have been mistreated by those who they were previously attached to.

    I think in many ways, the feelings of rejection and the traumas experienced because they were rejected, whether romantically or - even worse - have their very personhood rejected; those feelings lead to a dependency on those who treat them well and with respect.

    So, it's a commitment that you make, as a bystander, to be that person's rock, when you make yourself involved.

    It is totally mind boggling the kinds of things that other people will do to their fellow man. The things that cause those traumas and feelings of rejection, I mean.

    Being rejected by many people seems to make the people who are accepting seem like a dream, or worthy of doubt. So, there's this dependency on those who are accepting, but accompanied by this constant fear that this person who is accepting will eventually reject them.
    The same way they were rejected by someone else they trusted.

    It's all pretty upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s quite a complicated subject that you’re touching on, Alex. My adoptive daughter (now 22) has a RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) diagnosis, likely the result of the severe neglect and abuse from her bio mother and her “friends.” What happens to a child in the first 3-5 years of their life -good or bad – I’m more convinced than ever becomes a permanent part of their being that is not likely to be altered .....I can empathize with your feelings concerning your online friend. I many times feel helpless sitting across from one of my clients and listening to how they had an accident, lost their career job, had their house foreclosed on, life seems hopeless, etc. In the end I can only do MY job (well, bending a few rules when needed) and I have to tell myself that as long as everyone else also does theirs (their counselor, housing assistance, doctor, social worker, etc.), then they should be OK in the end......on a much happier note, you look great in those back-seam tights, and I love the closeup.....wish you were over here and could model for us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment