Venus is a real woman: the photography of Grace Vane Percy

My post today can be found at UNIVERS D'ARTISTES which I have the honour of editing.
After all the palaver about models young and old, mature and immature it is absolutely refreshing to read about an artist (a female photographer, just to rub it in) who photographs women, of all shapes, all sizes, all ages. Women who are not models. Just women. She brings out their beauty. Women are Venus, she says, Venus was - is - a real woman.
Please do read the interview with Grace Vane Percy, an internationally recognised art photographer who works exclusively with film,  now published in UdA. I would love to have some of your comments.

Photographer: Grace Vane Percy. Model anonymous.

Comments

  1. Love her work Alex. Clean and classic. I'd shoot with her any day. I'll be in France in May - is that close enough?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get in touch with her. Her email is on the website. Maybe we can both do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see one of her prints. The images are great on the internet, but the prints themselves will be amazing. It's interesting that she doesn't do her own printing. I've always regarded the process of getting the final image from the negative as being as much a part of the photographer's art as getting the lighting, exposure and focus right. All back to Ansel Adams and the negative being the score, the print being the peformance.....

    Do you happen to know who the printer is? I would like to see more of her work as well.

    That's not meant to sound like denigration of what Grace Vane Percy does. She clearly has an amazing rapport with the people in her images. I would never have know that they were not experienced models, or at the very least accomplished performers of some kind. The lack of self-confidence is quite amazing.

    It's always good to see a real artist who uses film. I'm particularly intrigued by her use of Delta 3200. Have you ever tried it? It's got a very strong grain, even in a medium format camera, and it's a bit of nightmare to load and unload because it's so sensitive to light. I've never seen images as good using it. In my experience most people use it for "gritty" street photography, night time work or photographing rock bands. I've got some very derivative old images of grotty bits of Manchester in my portfolio using it. I had no idea that it could work so well with skin tones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment