2015 From the Future into the Present




Metropolitan Magazine cover Model: me 

Any fan or even non-fan, anyone who is aware of the film Back to the Future knows that this is it, this is THE year. 2015.  And what will it bring us?
No, I am not going to engage in yet another piece of writing to assess the year gone by and forecast what 2015 has in store for us. You can pick just any magazine for that, it is customary to begin the year with a write up on what has happened and what we might expect.
2015 has a ring to it, only because it was the year that featured in the Zemeckis' movie.
But it's just a new year. We mark the end of one year and the beginning of the next on the 1st of January. Other cultures mark the new year at a different time, in Spring for example.
We know that our Christmas and New Year  took over the Winter Solstice celebrations. The winter solstice is important in the northern hemisphere because on 21st/22nd December we get the shortest day of the year.
Anyway, back to 2015. Back to the future. I am well past the half a century milestone and so glad I am still around. These days the fifth decade of one's life is not regarded old age yet, but this is a relatively new development. When I was fifteen  anyone over the age of thirty was definitely past it, as far as I was concerned. I had plenty of time to revise that opinion.


This month the department store Selfridges celebrates the Bright Old Things, which features 14 people aged from late 40s to 80s who have found a new vocation in their mature years and who have made a mark for themselves. It is a celebration of agelessness, so they say. I would see it as a celebration of maturity and the fact that older people continue to be creative, in other words, creativity does not belong only to the young. Such a misconception, one that has always been proven wrong. Take someone like Ludwig van Beethoven (of whom I am a great, great fan). He composed his splendid Ninth Symphony in his late forties, and he was totally and completely deaf, on top of everything!
Anyway, though the Bright Old Things is ultimately a marketing ploy, it is an intelligent one. It opens on 18th January. Susan Kreitzman, who was featured in the film Fabulous Fashionistas, the expatriate New Yorker who has made London her home  is one of the people selected for this project and I look forward to seeing what she has designed for the store.


I have a personal connection with the Bright Old Things. I too began a new career in my late forties, as a model,  and I have now had the honour of modelling for the feature written about the event in Metropolitan, the magazine available to Eurostar travellers in three languages. I am in fact on the cover (and inside the magazine). The article is written by Billie JD Porter, known as a contributor to
Vice, Dazed and Confused and Jalouse, discussing the new phenomenon of 'silver power'. So if you are travelling on Eurostar throughout January, either Paris bound or Antwerp bound, look out for the magazine on board!
Happy 2015 everyone! Celebrating my very first cover!

Comments