Goop and the Sex Pod


Photographer: Doh Lee. Model : me 

My blog post today is  all about sex!
The other day I read an article in The Guardian in which Gwyneth Paltrow was again given a good bashing. Ok, I have to confess here that I do not care much for Ms Paltrow and yes, I do find Goop products a little too expensive for my purse but come on, to label Goop  as 'joyless', and preaching about 'joyless' sex is a bit much. Goop is not meant to be a substitute for the Kama Sutra!
I don't think it is at all wrong to worry about the toxins that can invade your vagina - wanting a paraben free, water based lube is not an indication of wanting to kill pleasure, on the contrary. I personally do worry about the health of my body, vagina included,  and I do not think I am so unusual in wanting to keep things in check.
I do scrutinise beauty products for my face , so it goes without saying I want to be more in control of  products that target my vagina. Why would there be a hierarchy between face and vagina?
Goop has essays and articles which tell you a bit more about sex health, which otherwise you would not really pay much attention to. Sex is often talked about the wrong way and it's good that Goop can advise on sexual health issues.
Take the pill for example. I took it for a very short time in my twenties and then absolutely refused to go on taking it - I no longer need contraceptives now, but I did when I was younger.  I did not like what it did to my body.  After stopping it I did not end up having ten children, I only had one and he was very much wanted. But to keep myself in a state of continuous early pregnancy , which is what the pill basically does to your body, simply was not on.

Model: me Stylist: Alisa Ernst

So I really do not get all this Goop aka Gwyneth Paltrow bashing. Remember the dictum , if you can't say something  nice "don't say nothing at all".
As for the Sex Pod on 5Star,  I learnt about it from the Daily Mail of which I am not a loyal  reader, presented as a "shocking" programme. I  was intrigued because one of my favourite people, the very elegant and stylish, passion coach  Dr Vena Ramphal was involved.   She is also very, very smart and witty.
So I had a look at episode 1 and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a programme worth watching, funny, down to earth and very informative.
I suggest The Guardian should worry less about Goop and more about the realities of sex, as presented by The Sex Pod.  But wait. Perhaps it is not sufficiently middle class to do so.

Comments

  1. It reminds me of Cher's quote from the movie, Clueless:
    "You see how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment