Elegance and good posture


Photographer: Te-Cheng Lee. Artistic director: Emma Gluziki. Model: me

A few days ago there was a programme on ITV, about growing older, featuring the lovely model Frances Dunscombe, from Grey Model Agency. At 83 Frances is one of the oldest models in the UK, apart from Daphne Selfe, who is now 88.  Frances has a particular softness and grace that really makes her stand out.
I was really intrigued by the whole programme and quite alarmed when I heard that we can expect to lose, on average,  three inches in height by the time we hit the age of eighty. I was not convinced by that at all.
I have some familiarity with Alexander technique and I know that daily practice of the constructive rest helps to stretch the spine, rehydrating the discs, achieving the same effect as when we sleep but doing it in a more controlled way.  We are all a little taller when we get up in the morning, after a good night's sleep, but by evening we are about an inch shorter. However by  practising constructive rest throughout the day (about ten minutes, max twenty) can help regain that inch and in the long run, coupled with very regular exercise which allows you to stretch systematically, it can keep the shrinking at bay.
Most people have a very bad posture from childhood and pay little attention to the way they hold themselves throughout their life. I remember an article for the Daily Mail written by Tanith Carey not too long ago, in which she talks about doing Alexander technique sessions and how this helped her to regain her original height. Obviously you do not grow as such in adulthood, but by learning to control your posture and keeping your spine mobile you can counter the shrinking effect.


Like everything you need to start doing this early on, no point in waiting till you are all curved. Middle age, even earlier, is a good time to start focusing on this.
When I did Rolfing I was told to make sure that my computer was always at eye level so that I would hold up my head straight. I sometimes put a book on my head while sitting at the computer to remind myself of the sensations in my body experienced when being straight.
I have found the advice given by the Elegant Woman, a blogger from Hong Kong, on how to correct bad posture very helpful, it's worth having a look.
There are far too many blogs and websites discussing elegance and style only from the point of view  of what one wears and very seldom do people talk about posture. Yet posture and countenance are what makes one appear elegant and graceful, regardless of what worn.
When I do Sleek sessions with the amazing former ballerina Victoria Marr, she always tells us to hold our neck straight, shoulders down as if we had beautiful diamond earrings we want everyone to notice. You need space between your ears and your shoulders. Vicky's advice works wonders!
So next time you buy an elegant outfit or even a pair of jeans,  pay attention to body alignment. It will change the way you look completely and the clothes will really follow your body and become fully yours.




Comments