Exhibitionism and histrionism OR modelling and acting

Exhibitionism
Scene one
I was having dinner with a friend, a film maker who also takes photographs from time to time. I told him about me being a nude model, he said he had not done nudes in a long time. We discussed a possible shoot and then he asked me why I modelled nude. 'In my experience all nude models are exhibitionists at heart'. I disagreed, somehow I did not like the label. We left it at that. He was not being judgmental, in fact I will probably work with him at some point. But the labelling set me thinking.
Scene two
In the car with a photographer, leaving the studio after a shoot and getting a lift back. We discuss exhibitionism and he says, at some point,  that models are exhibitionists. 'And that's fine, that's healthy'. I was still unconvinced. Why did the word make me feel so uncomfortable? Later I picked up a copy of the book by Brett Kahr on exhibitionism, part of the series Ideas in Psychoanalysis. 
So here are my thoughts, having had a chance to mull things over. Nothing profound, but depth is not exactly what you would expect from a blog.
From a psychiatric point of view exhibitionism  is the compulsion to display one's genitals in public, usually to an unsuspecting stranger  (more commonly known as flashing). Kahr discusses this behaviour in men. Women can flash too, usually  they flash  breasts, but the flashing is not always sexually motivated.  For exhibitionism to be a psychiatric disorder  there has to be an element of reoccurring sexual fantasies that culminate in  the act of flashing and there should be an element of distress in the general behaviour of the flasher.
Clearly this does not apply to me as a nude model. Speaking for myself, I feel no distress when removing my clothes and am not motivated by a sexual urge.
But this is only one type of exhibitionism and a very specific sexual deviance. More broadly, an exhibitionist behaviour is anything that is aimed at making oneself  the centre of the attention. Here I have to  interpolate a cultural observation: in some societies exhibitionist behaviour is to some extent part of the culture i.e. I am Italian and flamboyance, akin to exhibitionism, is generally regarded as highly desirable in my home country. Italy is after all the birth place  of 'divismo'. The English, on the other hand, especially if  middle class, are drilled from early childhood that 'attracting attention to oneself' is a deadly sin.
Being a show off is a big no no and quite 'vulgar' (or 'foreign', which often means the same thing in the code of the English middle classes). 'Don't boast' 'Dont be clever' 'Dont be pushy' are key phrases routinely heard in English nursery schools, playgrounds and wherever children can be found. One of the books I have most enjoyed reading is the one by Oxford academic  Kate Fox on Englishness (Watching the English. The Hidden rules of English behaviour, 2004). It has helped me to make sense of all these peculiarities, especially the art of understatement i.e someone tells you they 'do a little sport', it turns out they have won an Olympic medal.   You can well understand that when modesty (or false modesty?) is regarded as a national virtue, the idea of exhibiting oneself is most abhorrent.
Confidence and feeling good about myself are what have made me embrace nude modelling and with it the desire to use my body for artistic expression. All performers are happy to be on show, to be seen, and modelling is a form of performance.  I love the camera, I love my body, I feel good about it. If that makes me an exhibitionist, so what? The discomfort I felt when the word 'exhibitionist' was uttered may well have come from having acculturated myself and acquired a veneer of Englishness, after a couple of decades living in  Blighty - oh no, I thought, how gross, do I really want to put myself on display?
 Histrionism

The OED gives a few definitions for histrionism:
  • excessively theatrical or dramatic in character or style e.g. a histrionic outburst.
  •  concerning actors or acting e.g  histrionic talents.
  •  In psychiatry,  it denotes a personality disorder marked by shallow volatile emotions and attention-seeking behaviour.
Histrionism is from the Latin histrio, -onis, actor. In English the word has acquired a negative meaning with reference to acting, when this is perceived to be melodramatic and exaggerated, and by extension an histrionic behaviour can sometimes mean hypocritical. In Romance languages, such as French, Italian and Spanish the word does not necessarily have such a negative shade of meaning, but refers more generally to  acting, as it did in English until the 19th century.  When Stanislavsky in the 20th century developed The Method this was to counter the highly melodramatic 19th century stylised acting style.
In silent movies acting tended to be histrionic. Without sound, gestures and bodily expression had to be emphasised  often with exaggerated facial expressions. I find that in certain styles of modelling an histrionic element is called for, for effect.
As to the psychiatric meaning of histrionic, this is beyond the purview of this post. All I can do here is repeat a caveat I give to those students of mine who feel the urge to write their undergraduate dissertations on eating disorders and the dance profession - a very popular topic.  I have noticed  a certain disturbing trend.  Often people attribute personality disorders to others or to themselves  simply on the basis of their having googled Wikipedia, without fully grasping the complexity of a psychiatric diagnosis. It has almost become a social past time of sort. "Oh so and so must have Histrionic Personality Disorder and so and so exhibits symptoms of  a Borderline Personality Disorder".
Personality disorders are  complex, particularly because the very notion of personality is subject to interpretation and is complicated by the way a psychiatric understanding of 'personality' intersects with 'personality' in a psychological and legal sense.  Only a qualified member of the psychiatric profession can diagnose a personality disorder.  As I always remind my students, in the UK it takes five years at  university to qualify as a MD and a further six years from start to finish to become a consultant psychiatrist.  Something to bear in mind next time you feel tempted to offer  a psychiatric diagnosis, if only in jest.
(All photos modelled by Alex B. and taken by John Erik Setsaas)

Comments

  1. I think when most people say exhibitionist they are referring to people that have a compulsion to have people see them naked, as stated in your psychiatric point of view. A person who poses nude is not forcing or causing others to see them nude. The responsibility for that act would fall on the viewer. As you mentioned in your post, the viewer would be taken by surprise by the exhibitionist. So, until you force me to look at your blog, you aren't an exhibitionist. I think that's how most people define it.
    One other point. I believe you must get some sexual feelings over posing nude. I can not believe you are totally free of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you should see the 'exhibitionist' label in a pejorative context. It has in general use a far broader meaning and the 'show off tag is probably more appropriate. Also I feel that exhibitionists are very often confident people who are just happy with their nudity and not ashamed to share it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Urban Pope and Phil.
    Yes, Phil I am now totally disabused of the notion that exhibitionism is a bad thing.
    Urban Pope I am not sure about my sexual feelings. When I shoot I think of many things and have no time to feel aroused. Even in my latest shoot with Mike, which was very erotic, I felt great tenderness for him and immersed myself in my role as lover but it was for the camera and I did not feel aroused at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My experience is that GOOD nude models tend to be exhibitionists (in terms of wanting to 'flaunt what they got'). And many exhibit histrionic personality traits - in the psychiatric sense (and a bit of narcissism, but those tend to be comorbid).

    Models without those qualities tend to lack confidence when faced with a camera... or being nude in front of anybody.

    I think, lacking inhibition isn't really a learned trait so much as a result of contributing factors.

    I think, if anything, your negative reaction to being pegged as an exhibitionist is likely to do with that english veneer you spoke of. You don't want to be thought of as seeking attention - but you do. So what?

    I disagree with your suggestion that it's foolish to 'diagnose' others with personality traits and disorders.
    It's certainly foolish to apply them ignorantly and inaccurately, but all that is required to overcome that is knowledge and the ability to observe.

    If I know symptoms of x, then it follows that upon observing symptoms of x in another person, I can state that that person has symptoms of x. They don't necessarily HAVE x, but they show symptoms. (I'm calling personality traits and disorders symptoms, because it fits the syntax better).

    I don't think it would be at all inaccurate to suggest that everybody has a multitude of traits which exhibit tendencies for one disorder or another, but when they start to pile up for one or another, that's when a psychiatrist or psychologist would know better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, modeling is acting and/or dancing, i.e., a means of expression. There is a difference between wanting to call attention to yourself just for the attention and wanting to call attention to something you want to communicate. I think that is an enormous difference. Maybe I will post on this.

    As to cultural differences, the idea that children are to be seen not heard was not the rule of the house. As children we were encouraged to be creative and pursue all the arts. Although I consider myself quiet and shy in social situations, give me a pen and, well, you read my blog and know what happens.

    Thank you for an excellent and thought-provoking post. As a model, I've encountered the same accusation and I think I've begun to buy into it. Now I have to rethink it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rab, in a way you have said yourself:'everybody has a multitude of traits which exhibit tendencies for one disorder or another but when they start to pile up for one or another that's when a psychiatrist would know better'. Self diagnosis on the basis of recognising certain symptoms or a diagnosis offered by a friend who is also scouring the internet to identify symptoms cannot really be relied upon, for either physical ailments or the more complex psychological/psychiatric disorders. I remember a couple of years ago someone I knew was convinced he had lyme disease. He swore he had been bitten by a tick (it was never clear how or when but he had a pet so it could have happened)and following that he checked and rechecked all the symptoms given online about lyme disease and that was it, as far as he was concerned, he had it. He went to see his doctor and the doctor suggested something else. He came away saying the doctor was not able to do his job and that he was doomed to succumb to lyme disease! Some months later I was speaking to him on the phone and asked him about his lyme disease, whether he had managed to get some suitable cure. With great non-chalance he said that he did not have it after all, it had been just a bad case of thrush! so his doctor had been right all along, though of course he did not like my saying that, he insisted he had thought so himself all along and suggested this to his doctor on a subsequent visit.
    You are right about exhibitionism and yes, for the English it is particularly bad to be attracting attention to oneself, hence my reaction to acknowledging it was affected by this notion. Which brings me to something else I have noticed about the English: they do want to attract attention to themselves of course and to do that they use a ploy by which they loudly deny they are in any way interested in being visible - I am so withdrawn, such a private person, they will say - and then they will proceed to do exactly the opposite of what they are saying. Kate Fox calls it national hypocrisy and has given a wonderful analysis of how UK Big Brother contestants will cover up their exhibitionism, a contradiction in terms since to be a Big Brother contestant you have to be an exhibitionist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. UL, of course, it is communication. It's interesting that not many photographers would acknowledge that and prefer the notion of exhibitionism, perhaps because they still believe deep down that the photograph communicates their vision rather than their vision and the model's. Back to square one!
    The idea of children seen but not heard is not universally shared. On a recent visit to Italy I was struck by the inordinate attention the youngsters of the house were given, something that is not usual in England.
    In this post I may sound immensely critical of the English and to an extent I am but there are also wonderful things about them and this is the reason I chose to stay. What I have always admired about the English is their sense of humour and their sense of fair play. These two things override all their faults. Occasionally you find an English person with no sense of humour and that shocks me and of course you also encounter cheats, but by and large these are aberrations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very briefly (I have only a few minutes), it has been said that if you model nude you must have sexual feelings. That is a preconception which has no basis in experience. Art models, medical professionals and nudists can all tell you that, once one gets accustomed to being naked and seeing other people naked, sexual reactions just don't happen.

    As for me, I have been naked among naked friends in a naturist setting many times, sometimes for stretches of more than 24 hours--without any more erotic thoughts or bodily reactions than I experience at the average church dinner. All it takes is opening your eyes to the reality that you can do other things in the nude besides sex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After just a brief look at your blog--thank you for the subject. Of course performing is not exhibitionism. Stanislavsky has helped me a great deal in understanding this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment