A resounding NO

 Photographer: Terri Lee-Shields
Today is the big day. The vote on the cuts in higher education is taking place in the afternoon of today, 9th December 2010. Students will be leading a massive demonstration that is expected to see at the very least 20,000 people.

College occupations and student demonstrations have been in full swing for the past month or so. Yesterday, many universities  had a walkout by students and lecturing staff.   Today my classes are cancelled and I will be there, demonstrating in Westminster, wearing my plaster - as it turns out I have fractured my left wrist, rather than just sprained it, so now it is in a plaster and I am wearing a sling. Damn nuisance!

Student occupations in the 21st century are a different affair from their 1968 counterpart.  The theme is not REVOLUTION but EDUCATION FOR ALL. So students have been surprising Londoners with a series of Teach -outs.  They gather in some well known square or station or public venue and deliver lectures. Faculty members join them.  Today, for example, a number of mini lectures took place on  tube trains from 3 till 5 pm.

This is a week when so many good things are happening to me, in my personal and professional life. I am grateful for this abundance of gifts, it goes without saying. But the best of all, yet to come, would be to know that we have defeated this insane government and its absurd policies. That's why today I will be demonstrating, plaster or not.

I posted about the cuts a few days ago. If they go ahead it will be the end of education in the UK. If they dont, it will be the end of the current government. Much is at stake.

Hetty Bowen, a Londoner who is 105 years old and who marched on the anti-Iraq war protests, has sent this solidarity message to the protesters:

"Education is the basis of civilised society. It is of primary importance for the future peace of the nations of the world".

That's why we are saying NO to the cuts.

Comments

  1. Lord God our Father, I pray that the British and American governments, national and local, will come to their senses and refuse these cuts. Set Your Holy Spirit in the leaders' hearts, so they may have courage to do this. In Jesus' name, Who came to enlighten the world: Amen.

    (Alex, I hope you don't mind this prayer. You've known me long enough to understand that I don't expect people to think or believe as I do, and that I am in no way assuming you or any of your readers are Christian--but I feel very strongly about this and believe that the Universe's Creator does too. Namasté.)

    P.S. I love "The Falling Dream"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jochanaan. Unfortunately the fees have now been raised and the cuts have gone through. R.I.P. Education!
    As for the behaviour of the police at the protest, I saw them beat people up and the kettled us to separate us and disperse us. It sickens me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, our nations resemble police states more and more.

    I just looked up "kettling" on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettling ). Scary--very scary. How accurate is the paragraph about the Nov. 24 protest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kettling shoud be outlawed! I have just posted on this so I will not reply in full.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment