To be exhibited in Detroit

 Photographer: Michael Culhane. Models: myself and Mike Cooney

Back in October Unbearable -Lightness had a short piece in her blog about S.W.E.A.T and their call for female visual artists to submit work for an exhibition at a well known gallery in Detroit,Michigan, USA. 

What is S.W.E.A.T? Here is how they describe themselves:

"The Society for Women in Erotic Art Today (S.W.E.A.T.) brings together female visual and performing artists to provide an information network and a network of opportunities to promote women in erotic art. S.W.E.A.T. is a network for photographers, fine artists, models, make up artists, wardobe designers and performance artists in the erotic / boudoir / burlesque field"

I made enquiries about their forthcoming exhibition proposals. Even though they wanted self-portraits they also accepted collaborative work between a model and a photographer. I joined the group and asked them to choose any work in my deviantArt gallery which they deemed to be suitable for any show they were putting together.

Then I completely forgot about it, as one does.

When I got back home today, tired after a long day's work , I logged on to check my emails, my iPhone's battery had gone dead and I had been off line for some hours.  I read a message from Lisolette Gilcrest from S.W.E.A.T saying that "Our sacred bodies 1" and "Our sacred bodies 2" have been selected  to be featured at The Dirty Show which  will be taking place in Detroit, from February 11th - 19th 2011. S.W.E.A.T entered the two photographs as part of their proposal.


I immediately contacted Michael Culhane to tell him about it, we share this honour and of course Mike Cooney too, without him there would be no pictures!



 Whether we participate or not is for Michael to decide, but being selected is already a big recognition and I am very happy about it.

The work I did with the two Michaels was amazing, I regard that photoshoot as the best so far in my art nude modelling career. I could not repeat what we did that day with anyone else, Mike Cooney was an amazing partner, so considerate, responsive and so very professional. Being lovers for the camera and being able to make it look real is not easy to accomplish without a sense of propriety and respect for the other. Mike was perfect. 


If you are close to Detroit, please go and see the show when it opens, it is quite an extraordinary event. I wish I could!

Comments

  1. Congratulations to all of you! I do hope Michael will be able to send prints for the show. Please keep me posted.

    I am so pleased you responded to the call and were accepted into a brick-and-mortar gallery! The top picture is splendid, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats from me too! Both pictures are splendid, and will enhance any gallery show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we will be in there. Michael has confirmed participation. I am very excited.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment