Thank you, stranger

Photographer: Jan Murphy

Someone saved my life yesterday night. I had just got out of the tube station closest to my home. I was about to cross the road, the traffic light was green for pedestrians, though it had started flashing. A car was approaching full speed (and I really mean full speed) on my left. I kind of wondered whether the driver would be able to slow down and break by the time he reached the traffic light, the car  was really going too fast. But I thought he should be able to, after all the light for him was clearly red. And so I started crossing. The car was getting closer and closer, no sign of breaking, probably the driver could not. Someone pulled me from behind, I really mean pull. The car went past and if this person had not so unceremoniously pulled me  it would have hit me.  I began to swear at the driver. Then I turned to see who had pulled me and saw no one. Whoever that person was, he or she had disappeared.

Photographer: Martin Robinson
I crossed the road and walked through the park. It was not 11 pm yet and it was a nice, clear evening. I began to notice all the good things around me, the trees, the open sky, the lovely row of houses and the smell of summer hit me. I knew that if I had not been pulled I'd probably be lying on the road if not dead certainly with all my limbs broken, wounded, maybe about to leave this world any time. There would have been the noise of ambulances and police cars. People screaming.  I also thought that clearly it was not my time to go yet, death had passed me by and yet reminded me that it is always there, following us, ready to strike. I have always loved The seventh seal, not least because Max von Sydow truly looked like my now dead father. Do we play chess with Death, I wonder?

Photographer: Martin Robinson
Death comes for everyone in its own unique way. Some people take their own lives, some people are killed, others die of illness. There does not seem to be a rule about when we die. We just do when the time comes and for each of us it will be different. As I was walking home it occurred to me that I have come close to dying several times and yet it did not happen, because it was not meant to. I remembered another occasion when I was with my son, at the time only seven and we were both about to cross the road and a car was going to hit him. I was looking away and had not seen the car, distracted by a shop window. Someone shouted 'Watch out', I saw the car  and stopped, putting  my arms around my little boy to prevent him crossing on his own and thus being hit.

Photographer: George Swift
Yesterday's experience really shook me. It made me appreciate my life as it is. It restored my faith in others and their goodness. Maybe we do have guardian angels, maybe we dont. But whoever saved my life last night acted as an angel. I would like to say thank you for the chance I now have to live my life better than I have so far. It really is a beautiful and fragile thing and we should make the most of it as when it ends there's no restoring it, not the way it was.


(All photos modelled by Alex B.)

Comments

  1. I'd also like to thank that person. I'm so glad you're still here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I've experienced similar situations a few times in my life. I thought it was my mother (who passed away at a young age) who saved me. I always felt like I have my own guardian angel looking over my shoulder, making sure I'm OK, even when I do stupid things, as I often do.
    I'm very glad you are OK.
    And I agree with your perspective on life. I do not want to spend another second on negative stuff, just appreciate the beautiful things around us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have experienced situations when we saw death approaching but we were spared. We often pretend they have not happened or refuse to think about what could have happened. In those moments it is something or someone that seems to be intervening to allow us to escape. This is my personal belief, only a belief, not a certainty, but I feel we are surrounded by spirits, some are benevolent, some are angry and maybe in pain. Many of our decisions are influenced by them. And from time to time there are those that help us. Wishing you all the best with your forthcoming wedding photography assignment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment