As I get ready...



...to fly to Spain tomorrow to model for Martin Robinson's weekly workshop - and it is hot over there at the moment - I am having a glass of Chardonnay prior to my dinner - nothing fancy I 'm afraid, I am Italian but contrary to received wisdom I can't cook to save my life -  and am reflecting on the day that just went by. I would say that this was a rather special day.

First, as I woke up,  I found in my email box a very flattering and really touching comment left by a perfect stranger who happened to view my portfolio. I am used to compliments and appreciative comments, my deviantArt gallery is full of them - someone once remarked that deviantArt is good for one's ego, that's why he joined. But this one was so exquisitely worded, I almost believed it - I take compliments with a large grain of salt. Politicjustice contacted me via my "Contact " form on my website.  He wrote:

"Dear Alex, 
I just had to let you know how deeply moved I am by your work. As an older man (older than you) I am past the age of "responding" to the standard measures of beauty. You however, clearly transcend such measures. I look at your images, particularly your nudes, and I see a grace and elegance such as I've never encountered before. But there's even more than that. You have a power, a strength that frankly I find both mesmerizing and even a little disquieting. Certain pictures of you portray the human form and psyche in a formidable manner that captivates. 
I congratulate on your body's exquisite physicality but more importantly on the inner power you bare so boldly and so generously to your audience.
Thank you for sharing your gifts."

 I know, I know, this smacks of singing my own praises. Someone might even say that I made it up. I have not, and truly, I am not singing my own praises, I am fully aware of my limitations. But if someone feels this way about my work,  it really makes me feel that what I am doing is worth something. Once in a while.

So this is how my day began. Then I attended a workshop where I learnt to use embodiment to clarify my thinking - how  you would embody a research proposal was the topic we explored. With my group we worked on several ideas and we improvised providing an embodied counterpoint to each other's proposals. It was immensely satisfying and it certainly opened up a new way of thinking - through the body.

Then I met Esther and Lucy at the South Bank and I got to know about Esther's project, Spirited Bodies. A connection was made. We talked for ages and found we were really agreeing on so many things. Our conversation has just begun, there will be more and finally we will do something together, I very much hope we will. Meanwhile do have a look at Esther's ideas, it's all on her website and blog...

(Photo  taken by David Holmes and modelled by Alex B)

Comments

  1. That really is an exquisitely worded compliment, and truly no more than your work deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alex, that is divine. And it is so true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment