Internet misogyny and comment moderation

Photographer: Manji
Last week The Guardian and the London Evening Standard wrote about internet misogyny. The number of men that seem to vent their hatred of women online through anonymous comments is quite bewildering, according to such reports.
As a model with an online presence I have experienced online misogyny and virulent comments, anyone in my position surely has.
I have received threats and have been the target of vindictiveness. Whoever said that men forgive and let go, whereas women are more likely to plot revenge and harass, is but another misogynist. Reading about the man who put his ex's real address on Craiglist, saying she fantasised about violent sex, confirmed my suspicions. The woman was raped by a guy who read his post, virtually a call to rape her. And that is not vindictiveness, is it?
 Moore's piece in The Guardian resonated with me , however I tend to disagree with her about the issue of commentators' anonymity. I am not quite sure. In my view anonymity is what allows such people to be so hostile.  Comment moderation is necessary, anonymous comments should be rejected.
I no longer allow anonymous comments here and am glad I do not. In pre-internet days if I received a letter I did not like I would bin it, so I do the same the same now for comments that in my view do not add anything to a discussion and are only meant to be derogatory and/or defamatory or rude or both. I also do not publish anything written anonymously.
I know from personal experience that the police do not regard internet threats as serious. I remember, not too long ago, having to beg the police to make someone remove seriously offensive material about me from his internet site. They did act eventually but their first reaction was to tell me that it was not a criminal matter. I find it quite extraordinary that there should be such reluctance to intervene. Let's hope attitudes will change and that online trolling is dealt with as it should.

Comments

  1. nice bottom.




    ...not sure if that was a valid comment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really, no, but then you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I knew that. Sorry, just a light hearted comment. Bit too cheeky.

    BTW I think your blog is quite unique. A mixture of all sorts, whether it be about psychology, random observation, about dance, modelling, photography, mixed with your modelling shoots and lately some of your photos. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stumbled on ur blog while I was searching for some material on Hirapur. This blog is unique and I feel u r brave enough to view your thoughts and modelling work. Not sure if a comment with my Google user is enough for intros?!

    Good blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment