Is there an end to grudge bearing ?

Photographer: me Model: Susie

A recent post in What We Saw Today addressed the issue of grudge bearing. We are all a bit guilty of it to some extent. But some people make it their life ambition, if you can call it that, to never forgive anyone for what they perceive as an affront, real or imagined -  more often imagined, as it were.
We all do and say things at times which are either inappropriate or uttered in anger. But most of us try to let go of that anger. It no longer amazes me but it sometimes amuses me to see the lengths people go to in order to save their egos. And that involves long term grudge bearing.
For example, to keep it within the confines of deviantArt,  which UL referred to, where I too am currently administrator/moderator of two groups, one for medium format photography, the other one for fine art photography, I know of at least a couple of people who have removed all their work from the groups' collections and even, in one case, deleted a Daily Deviation of theirs, so that it would not be included in any future feature of the group, after I 'made the mistake' of using the thumbnail in a group piece I wrote  - a case of cutting off one's nose!  I know of people who wrote rude notes to the moderator DEMANDING (the caps are necessary here, as they were virtually shouting) to know why their masterpiece was rejected. I know of someone who though continuing, on paper,  to be a contributor of one of the groups, since I joined that group as admin has stopped giving his work  - I would have to vote on it and that  would be an insult.  I am waiting to see how long for this character will continue to list our group as one of his! Not that it bothers me. It bothers him that I should be involved.

Begrudgers are unhealthy people, who respond with incivility when you try to be civil to them.
I would say to UL, as a belated comment to her insightful post, and partly in response to the last lines of Karl's comment, which really struck a chord with me, that the best way not to surrender to the negativity of grudge bearing is to talk about it and make your peace with the person, then move on. For some people the only solution is to bury their head into the sand and pretend the other person does not exist, never addressing the issue. But that does nothing. Attempting to make your peace with the person often may fall on deaf ears but is good for you, a way to show to  yourself that you can let go without bad feelings. After that the other person can rot in his/her putridity and you can feel free and clean as if you had just had a shower.
Thanks UL for the post, I only read it today, am trying to catch up!

(All photos modelled by Alex B. unless otherwise stated)

Comments

  1. Well said, milady! Grudge-holding only poisons the one "grudging." And as someone has said (maybe you know who), "The best revenge is living well."

    Oh, and I like your pictures of Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Jochanaan. It's good to see you back here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment