Nude, pregnant and on the runway

Photographer: Charlie Staniforth

As I mentioned in my earlier post, on Tuesday I modelled for Robyn Coles Millinery as part of London Fashion Week. Robyn chose unconventional models, who would walk naked on the runway, wearing only her hats - most of the models were art models, such as myself . One of the models was Sophia Cahill, former Miss Wales and a glamour model, heavily pregnant with her second child.
The show certainly made people take notice. Nudity is always news , even more so if one of the nude models is pregnant.
Robyn admitted she did it to attract attention to the hats. We got our photos splashed on the web and in all papers within hours.  Some people were sarcastic, some people applauded Robyn. I did not expect to see my self in the Metro yesterday morning, I was sitting on a train and someone was reading about it and my picture was there. It felt weird, but he could not possibly recognise me so I did not say or do anything.
Model: Sophia Cahill Photographer: Charlie Staniforth
But the most surprising reaction was from an Italian fashion blog  with a post that was vitriolic and so very bigoted, it made me feel ashamed of being Italian. I will not translate it in full but it was a gratuitous attack on nudity. Pregnancy was viewed as if it were an illness, as if pregnant women's bodies were horrendous. It just made little sense to me. Robyn, by the way,  was mistaken for a man - it shows the bloggers had done little research.
I think Sophia was beautiful and I am really glad her picture can be seen everywhere. She looked radiant on the catwalk.

Photographer: Charlie Staniforth

As for me, fifty plus with grey hair to my waist, my inspiration is the beautiful Yasmina Rossi who at 55 sports similar hair - and who has also posed nude. I feel good about my body and about myself and I love Robyn's hats. This was the reason why I accepted to be in her show.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with nudity, it is time we should really question these anti-nudity attitudes. The nude has a great tradition in art. The rounded belly, inspired by pregnancy, was regarded as a sign of beauty by Renaissance artists.  I would have thought these Italian bloggers would have some knowledge of such matters, coming as they do from a country that is steeped in  art.
But hold on, the "Berlusconi generation" is rather bigoted and to my great chagrin, incredibly ignorant...

Note. Apparently you can see a videoclip of the event here! Enjoy
(All photos unless specified are modelled by Alex B.)

Comments

  1. I can't really comment on Italy (other than conservatism has mutated into a global cancer that is a mockery of what conservatism used to be). But, yeah. I'm disappointed that at least one blogger in the birthplace of the renaissance doesn't get this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good time was had by all present, and never mind the haters! Way to go, Alex! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my gallery of pregnant bellies:
      http://www.raymonddelhaye.com/projet/bellies/01/index.htm

      Delete
  3. Hey Alex, you look splendid in these shots and suitably regal and proud in your nudity. I agree that Sophia was radiant and a pleasure to behold. It's a shame we didn't hear from any more progressive Italians, true, as Italy is still the home of traditional life painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops. apologies to Photoanthems.com. He sent this lovely comment which I deleted entirely by mistake. Sorry!

    Wow. I wish I could have been there to witness that, Alex! Beautiful!


    Thanks Terrence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video you linked is wonderful! You all just glow in your birthday attire, and the hats are gorgeous colors and textures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment