Dancing nude in public is not against the law


I was invited to a site specific performance taking place on the lawn of a London college. The performer was known to me through her modelling work. I did not know she was also a dancer. Choreographed by a young woman currently studying for a master degree, the piece was very interesting as it tackled the question of heritage through a fertility rite, hence the nudity. The audience was scarce. It was a very moving performance, the dancer is to be congratulated for being so unselfconscious and so attuned to the surroundings. A lovely piece, I thought.

After the performance I began to chat to the choreographer's tutors, to find out a little more about the college and the degrees offered. Suddenly, a very officious looking woman from some administrative department approached us saying there had been reports of a girl dancing naked on the lawn. The tutor confirmed there had been a performance but it was now over. "Do you know that being naked in a public space is illegal?" continued the officious looking woman."I will pretend this has not happened since it is now over and I cannot see anyone but please remember this for future reference"
"Actually being naked in a public place is not illegal" I ventured. "Not in the UK, not yet". I felt put on the spot, really. I was wearing clothes and was not there as a model, but I do model nude and  attitudes to nudity do concern me.



Later I did some research. Being naked in a public space is not illegal. However, using nudity to "harass, alarm or distress" others is an offence against the Public Order Act of 1986. And this is the crux of the matter. If someone feels offended by the nudity then it becomes illegal.

In this instance it all blew over because the performance lasted a short time and there was no evidence of anything ever taking place - dance is ephemeral.

Dancing nude in a public space is not illegal but it could be if people object to it.


Once again all I can say is "What is wrong with nudity?" But I know the question will fall on deaf ears.




(All photos in this post are stills from Marie Schuller's film "Visiting Hour", modelled by Alex B.)

Comments

  1. That's a horrible loophole in the law, Alex. The question may more rightly be - why do so many people have problems with nude art? What indeed IS their problem???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't fall on deaf ears. The choir can hear just fine, thank you. :)

    Indeed, what IS the problem? Creating an actual disturbance, of course, should always be a concern. Lewd behaviour needs to be addressed. But dance and simple nudity being offensive? Why?

    But, again, I'm in the choir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The experiences of my naturist friends and me, though, suggest that perhaps a majority of humans have no problem with nudity; yet many who may themselves accept or even hunger for "live" nudity fear the squeals and squawks of outraged "moralists." As we say here, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

    Bravo for standing your ground, Alex!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment