Watching and reporting


I have watched with dismay a whole drama unfold on a megasite where someone I held in high esteem - admittedly, I did not always see eye to eye with her, but the relationship was based on respect - was forced to leave the site, as whatever rightful grievance people had, they just turned it into a distasteful attack on her person and she could not take it anymore. The perpetrators were even applauded for it.
I watched another case of someone being thrown out of the same megasite because of his behaviour involving writing obscenities about models. It was a case of good riddance. The guy seemed unstable and perhaps too much was made of his utterances. But still...
Then this morning I learnt about someone else whom I have always admired and with whom I even run a group  on said megasite, deciding to wind up her blog and leaving, giving up modelling altogether. She can no longer take the dramas it involves.
I am full of doubts, at this point in time. It seems to me that to be a member of the megasite in question you need to be involved in policing. I find that too much of an effort, I am a busy lady.
 I know of someone on that megasite who seems to spend much of his time  spotting and reporting those who steal 'art' from Met-Art, turning himself into a balance as the French say. It makes me wonder. Does this person not have anything else to do with his life?

I am not saying that stealing from Met-Art is the right thing to do, but hey, do you really have to take on this policing? Can you not let the site deal with it? It will, in due course, and if it does not, is it really your loss? Especially when you consider that it is not necessarily, not in all cases anyway, done for profit. Some people enjoy having a go at processing images. Whether this is art or not is beside the point (not that Met-Art is great art anyway). So many times people have reprocessed the images I have displayed, sometimes they asked me beforehand, sometimes they simply presented me with a fait accompli, in some cases I only found out by chance. To be honest it has never bothered me.
It's this mind set of watching over what others are doing which I find disturbing. This idea of being able to say "I caught you and now you are going to pay for it" to me is a sign of great meanness masked as righteousness.
Some of these people so keen on policing also have a past as bullies. This very person now so bent on reporting members of that megasite who steal from Met-Art tried to get me off the megasite by casting aspersion on my character. I let it go and of course he did not succeed. I hold no grudges, ever, but I never forget.
Where was I? When I joined that megasite it was because I wanted an outlet for my photography, as a model and later, as a photographer. I was not quite prepared for its dramas. Now I am. I no longer spend much time on it. I take the view that I have paid my subscription, I will upload my stuff. Sod it if people dont like it. That's all , really.

(Photo by Korrigan modelled by Alex B)

Comments

  1. Alex, you asked the key question in this post: Does this person not have anything else to do with his life?

    Thing is, two of those you mentioned in your post DO have other things to do with their lives. I now wonder about the value of all the time I put into the mega site's artists and groups. To quote a famous line from "Casablanca," it didn't amount to a hill of beans. So why spend your time in a place where one must constantly watch his or her back - oh, yes, and watch everyone else.

    Just don't expect many others to watch yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago on some Yahoo Christian naturist groups, there was a guy who took it on himself to bully anybody who wrote a post that he thought didn't reflect a "truly Christian" viewpoint--according to him, of course. He made himself so disliked that the moderators had to ban him. He would go so far as to send bullying private messages to "offenders"! (I got several of those messages. I finally had to block his email address.)

    "...a boot stamping on a human face--forever." (George Orwell, 1984) It's happening now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont UL. I still find that being on that site has certain advantages. I no longer regard it as a 'community' and I would not get as involved as I once was. Perhaps you gave too much of yourself, emotionally and intellectually. That's why it has been so hurtful. dont let this stop you though from doing what you enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my perspective, I took a few steps back, and made up inventory. After 5 years of modeling, what did I end up with...
    1. Financially: no doubt, I'm in the hole, and I don't even want to know by how much (if I count the money spent on memberships for MM, OMP, the gas money, money for clothes and props and all other travel related expenses)
    2. I have a hard drive filled with images. Some really great stuff, some not so good stuff. But they are PIXELS, people. Low res pixels, mostly. And I haven't looked at them in almost 2 years
    3. I have a nice collection of prints, beautiful prints. But I can't really hang them on the wall, so they are safely stowed away somewhere. And I haven't looked at them in almost 2 years
    4. Book and magazine publications: great pride points, but almost all forgotten already, and haven't looked at them in almost 2 years.
    I wonder what the value of all these things will be in 20 years?


    But, one would say... I got the EXPERIENCE out of it all. Sure. The good, AND the bad. Sadly, a few bad things tend to suck the fun out the whole thing, and make the good look almost irrelevant. Funny how that works.

    If I were to pile all the good things I got out of these years, and weighed them against the bad, all the hours I spent worrying or upset about silly things related to modeling, traveling, posing, blogging, or getting wrapped up in the drama, and all the hours I didn't spend with my kids because I was too busy "modeling", I now have to question myself if I made the right choices. Think about it,.. that's a steep price to pay,.. and for what? Some prints, some low res jpgs, and the honor of a few publications or picture comments?
    The one redeeming thing about all of this are the few lasting friendships that resulted from these years. Those, I'm very grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth, I am glad you put in all that effort. It wasn't completely wasted. You made an impression on me. And I'll be thankful for that 20 years from now. :)

      Delete
  5. It is the right decision for you Iris, if this is how you feel. I have been thinking about it too but the time has not yet come for me to stop. I wish you all the very best
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all very, very sad, as the altruism that most of us feel about art has been attacked and tossed aside. Iris, I understand about finances, and you have a LOT more than me (I dropped paid sites some time ago).

    I'd say, though, that in time you will see the value. Maybe it won't tip the scale completely to the positive, but you did create some great friendships, as you said, some wonderful images. That will count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I may intrude , Im a long time fan of Dr Lightness and a recent fan of yours . I think the work you do is amazing , whether clothed , classic nude or erotically charged . Ive never understood people who try to tear others down and destroy their self esteem , and I have no compassion or patience for such people . I hate the fact that the site where I discovered both of your fine work has become so lax about letting evil people torment good people expressing their artistic vision . What is the answer ? I dont know , but maybe Dr Lightness is on the right track with having a private blog . Should you choose to do the same , I hope I have the honor of being one of your invited guests .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had intended to take some time off from dA before any of the recent dArama. I was looking at the reality Iris so well describes. We all endure insults and unfairness from time to time in our professions but, because it is our profession as well as our livelihood at stake, we persevere. Fine art nude modeling, as Iris says, costs us - financially and many other ways.

    It is not that we can't take it any more - it's that we don't have to. If what you do for the joy of it ceases to be a joy and causes way too damage to yourself, it's time to move on. Life is too short.

    Thank you for this post, Alex, and thanks to my friends for their support of all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment