A big cheer to M&S


Marks and Spencer A/W 2012 campaign. Source: Google

This morning my friend the photographer David Nuttall emailed me to say he thought he had seen me in a M& ad, only when he looked more carefully he realised it was not me. I was almost fooled, he said.
Artist Alexandra Gallagher, for whom I posed, also sent me a note through FB. Is it you? She asked, referring to the same ad. You can see the commercial here
No, it is not me, it is Yasmina Rossi, to whom I bear a resemblance.  We are FB friends and we have emailed each other about the resemblance. "It's the energy and the hair that are alike"  she says. I agree. It would be fantastic to do a shoot together! I posted about her last year, see my post  Ever met yourself?
I am delighted that Yasmina has been selected to appear in  this international campaign, replacing Twiggy. This is the first time that a fifty plus woman with grey hair can be seen in such a prominent ad. Sure, we had the Dove campaign but the grey haired woman featured in it was not a professional model (she is now). As for Twiggy, she is a legend, the face of the 1960s - and does not have grey hair!. M&S has relied on celebrities in the past, but has now decided to employ professional models with whom real women can identify. It has definitely embraced diversity - only last month I was involved in a shoot for its beauty products, again with a group of diverse models. This was a much
more low key shoot than the A/W 2012 For every woman you are, the international campaign that features Luisa Bianchin (20), Sandra Ellinore Shiotz Erichsen (22), Marquita M Pring (22), Eden Micael (24), Marie Meyer (27), Candice Joy Huffine (27), Anne-Flore Trichilo (34), Rachel Boss (42), Angela Dunn (48) and Yasmina Rossi (57). Still, it was thrilling to be part of it.



Photographer: Derek Anderson. Model: Alex B

I feel quite strongly about seeing older models in fashion and advertising and I know I am not the only one who does. When I say models, I mean models - neither celebrities, nor so called 'real women' (as if models were not real women) but women who can pose, walk on a runway and can really show the clothes they are wearing - it is an acquired skill .

It is wonderful to see models such as Yasmina and Angela appearing in such an important campaign. It really marks a trend and it opens up opportunities and possibilities for other older models.

In the past I would not have thought of M&S as a place where I could find interesting clothes. I take it back now: I would love to wear what Yasmina is modelling. I think it would look good on me.

Comments

  1. That is a great add , and I love the way all the ladies in it appear to be having so much fun with it . Yasmina more than holds her own with women much younger than herself . Love the music , too !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment