Videocalling

Photographer: me


Videocalling is all the rage, especially with Skype. People will call at all hours and enable video. I absolutely hate it. I dont mind being on the phone after 10 pm but being on a video call ? No way.
Recently a woman that was recruiting models for her project insisted on Skype video calling at an hour that did not suit me. I declined to be interviewed. She accepted that and I believe she settled on somebody else for the job. All good, we agreed to be in touch for future opportunities. I had, by this time, accepted her as a Skype contact. A few days later, at 10 pm - my time and also her time - she tries to videocall. I declined the call and sent a message asking whether anything was the matter. She replied that nothing was the matter she just wanted to say hi. By videocall. No way. I immediately dropped her from my contacts and will not accept a videocall from her ever again.
What's the problem you may ask?
I am sure this lady is very nice and meant no harm BUT the problem is PRIVACY, which videocalling seems to be at odds with.

When I am at home I like wearing little. I like eating while using my laptop. I often answer phone calls while busy with something else. I do not want to have the video on! I do not want to see my caller nor do I want them to see me.
If it is someone that wants to hire me for a modelling job then they can first look at my website. If they really insist, they can set up a videocall at an agreed time. But I will not take videocalls just like that, not even from family members.
Call me old fashioned, but videocalling is simply not for me, unless absolutely necessary.

Photographer: Neil Huxtable

(All photos modelled by Alex B.)

Comments

  1. I understand completely, Alex. My home is my sanctuary, and I actually don't like late night business calls with or without video. I am old fashioned, of course, but I was taught it is impolite to phone anyone after 10 p.m. unless it is urgent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Common sense seems uncommon.

    New ways of communication sometimes change our challenge old habits. Prior to mobile phones you might have asked "How are you" when the person answered but now you may more often hear "Where are you", a question that was out of the question when land lines was the only phone available and thus the position was implied.

    No, calling someone at 22 is not ok and especially not going video.

    The other day at the office I saw a guy taking in his phone while he entered the toilet, not ok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment