Opportunities and cities

Photographer: David Newby for The Guardian
Following last week's post a reader from Sweden commented that he enjoyed reading my blog and somehow envied me for living in a large city rich in cultural events. Another blog reader replied to this comment saying that one can always create one's cultural event, there is no need to envy the dwellers of a large metropolis. Today a blogger of my acquaintance wrote citing my post and talking about how she is able to create her own opportunities for modelling even though she is not close to a large urban centre.
I never really meant to write a post in praise of cities, or about opportunities that cities afford, my original post was merely a description of something I had been involved in and which had taken place where I live, which happens to be a city. Nor was the envy felt by my reader meant in any bad way, it was something he said to express his current desire for new horizons.
 I chose to live in a big city when I was much younger because having been brought up in the country, cities fascinated me - I longed for the experience of being able to be anonymous in a crowd and was delighted by the ease with which one could stumble upon an unusual venue and discover new activities to involve oneself in.

Photographer: Martin Norris

However, being able to manage your career successfully is definitely not dependent on living in a large city, certainly not in the age of the internet, when everything can be accessed online. This is the age of MOOCS, free online courses at top universities which one can take from any corner of the world, without prerequisites,  to improve one's CV or satisfy one's curiosity  - I recently enrolled for a short course run by Yale on psychology, very entertaining as well as informative.
Cities have their drawbacks and not everyone is able or even willing to take part in cultural activities. There are times when I feel so exhausted that the thought of taking myself to a theatre or a gallery is pure anathema. On those occasions I may watch a DVD or an online version of some old film, often on youtube. Or I may take a virtual tour of the Louvre. One could do so from absolutely anywhere, so long as there is a computer and an internet connection.
Some of us dislike cities and feel more comfortable being in less crowded environments, cleaner and altogether healthier. Some of us love them and feel restless if confined to a quieter milieu.
Sometimes I long for sandy beaches and a blue blue sea. At those times I look out of my window and I see a busy street, cars, people. All I can do is dream of the next time I will be able to go on a holiday. Not immediately, I know that much.

(Model: Alex B)

Comments

  1. Alex, thank you so much for linking to MOOCs - I had no idea free online courses from such esteemed universities existed! The intro to psychology course looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Ella-Rose. Yes MOOCS are an interesting phenomenon. They will change our perception of higher education , for sure.

      Delete
  2. The dilemma goes back to Asesop, at civilization's beginnings. How - and where - we spend the time of our life actually is a very important and personal decision. The important thing is to make the choice and to be happy with it. Keep up the great work you're doing! There will be time enough for the blue sea and sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not have asked for a nicer surprise tonight than finding this blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment