A new year and my fourth year blogging

The Roman baths, Bath

So here we are, 2014 has just begun, the long Christmas break is nearly over, and many of us are busy making various new year's resolutions or finally implementing long awaited changes. This will be my fourth year blogging, it is quite amazing I have managed to stick to it for this long!
I ended up 2013 in style, spending the day at my favourite spa, in Bath, a most charming city. I loved being immersed in water, walking in and out of the steam rooms and ending it all with a great watsu massage, where the therapist applies shiatsu principles and manipulates your body while you float in water. What an experience! I will be looking for more opportunities to have it done again, not necessarily in Bath - though for me the attraction of Bath is in its amazing water, not to be found elsewhere.
Today I had a very leisurely day, contemplating the various tasks ahead of me, reconnecting with my sister and my brother and chatting with them, writing, getting my cameras out as I want to start taking photos again, especially with my old Bronica and beginning the process of tidying up. I do need some decluttering!
A very interesting article was shared by some of my Facebook friends and I am sharing it via this blog.

Photographer: Mark Bigelow. Model: myself

The article discusses some recent research carried out at the University of Winsconsin-Madison in collaboration with Spanish and French  biomedical researchers. It seems, according to the research, that the practice of mindfulness, achieved through meditation techniques, can effect specific molecular changes in the body - here I quote:
"After eight hours of mindfulness practice, the meditators showed a range of genetic and molecular differences, including altered levels of gene-regulating machinery and reduced levels of pro-inflammatory genes, which in turn correlated with faster physical recovery from a stressful situation".
This is not the first time that claims are made about the power of the mind to affect the world around us, beginning with our very own body.
Perhaps it is high time to think of mind and body as a continuum rather than separate entities?
I find the thought that my state of mind can affect my body quite empowering.
So let's start the new year with a positive attitude and soon we will see its effect on us and our environment.




Comments

  1. I've been wondering for years whether our thoughts can alter our physical genetic structure. Now it looks like we've got some hard evidence that they do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment