Inspiration and body envy



A photo of bodybuilder Ernestine Shepherd at the age of 74 - she is now 77 - shown next to a contemporary of hers, who is obviously not an athlete, has been shared on FB and it has caused many negative comments, far too many for my liking.  I am honestly bewildered. I find it quite unbelievable that people should lash out this way.
I am guilty of sharing the photo and so far no one has left a negative comment on my page. Ms Shepherd is an athlete. That puts her in a very different category - she competes and looks after her body in a very particular way, in order to be able to compete.
The reason why I find her inspirational - rather than aspirational - is that we are constantly bombarded with images of old people shown as frail and in need of help - indeed far too many are like that, they may be very ill and illness always takes its toll. But it is also true that a great many of them are not so helpless.

Seeing someone like Ernestine makes you realise that if you want to - it is a choice - if you put yourselves through the paces, you can devote yourself to a competitive sport, regardless of your age. Of course it is easier if you are young, but age will not necessarily hold you back. All you need is determination and the patience to go through a gruelling routine.
Not for everyone, I readily concede. Not everyone is an athlete and not everyone wishes to be. Not everyone wishes to be a body builder - I don't.  But it is good to know that if you want to, you can do it, no matter how old you are - Ernestine Shepherd began at the age of 50. To me this is a fundamentally positive message.
I like seeing such photos because they motivate me. When I read about Ernestine Shepherd, I feel motivated to persevere with my own work out routine. It will pay off, when I get to a very old age, a real old age (if I do!).
It is so easy to give up - choosing to train regularly is quite hard. And no, it is not vanity. I have read so many comments written under that photo, talking about vain people that focus on their body and think of nothing else. That is so judgmental! I think much of this backlash  is rooted in  a very misplaced envy.

From a recent article in Woman & Home, April 2016 issue 

I don't want Ernestine's body or life. I am happy with mine. I know I can improve my flexibility and strength and am working on it, I don't want to give up, because "after 50 your upper arms lose tone so you have no choice but hide them and you just have to tolerate a stiff back." I am not happy with such defeatist attitudes. Seeing Ernestine Shepherd helps me to stay on track and feel good about my own body, its ability to regenerate itself, and my workouts.
(I follow Sleektechnique and no, I have not been paid to endorse them!)

Comments

  1. Weight bearing exercise is particularly effective in reducing the effects of aging, particularly loss of bone density. Lift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment