Again from Jakarta #2


It's been  hectic. Indonesia Fashion Week (you can watch the shows here and here is a TV news item in Bahasa about it) was interesting and different from Jakarta Fashion Week, different management, concept, and to an extent, different aims eg JFW was more buyer focused, IFW was more consumer focused.
I have met many people, had a good audience attending my talk, from whom I really learnt much, and enjoyed seeing some pretty amazing fashion shows that were true spectacles - bowled over by the wealth of imagery and references in Anne Avantie's celebration of 29 years of making fashion (with the participation of a minister turned model for the occasion). Poppy Dharsono's 40 years of chic boutique fashion were a pleasant surprise too.


At the moment  I am tying up a few lose ends and have another full week in Jakarta before taking a long weekend break in Bali. I toyed between Bali and Lombok then I chose Bali only because I am after a very specific break, in a spa resort that is secluded and where I can luxuriate by the pool, not far from the sea, and having treatments done. I will also have an opportunity to follow a fitness programme, as many are offered there, but I will probably do my own Sleek practice, as I did when I went to the Menjangan, which belongs to the same company as the Samata, where I will be going. I can't wait.
I had an opportunity to read the very thoughtful piece written by Jacynth of the Bias-Cut.Com on Enninful's new Vogue out tomorrow and already talked about as for the very first time it shows diverse models on its cover.


But as Jacynth comments, age as also disability are not included. Maybe there is an 'Ageless' issue in the offing but it is quite an omission, I fully agree with Jacynth.
Enninful states that
"When I say diversity , I want to be clear that it is never just about black and white for me. It's about diversity across the board - whether that's race, size, socio-economic background, religion, sexuality. That's what I want to celebrate with this cover." Hmmm.
Being in Indonesia and having just given a talk on changing concepts of beauty, plugging the 'Timeless Beauty' documentary, I have come to realise that diversity does not mean the same thing to everyone, everywhere in the world. Here in Indonesia  it is primarily diversity in terms of faith, this is the primary meaning given to it. And in a country where there is such a great emphasis on developing modest fashion, which is meant to cover the body, somehow body diversity acquires a different  meaning.
Going to a few more fashion shows next week as well as completing my research into fashion magazines of the turn of the century.
Then it's London again. I really want to go back and get started on my writing.


Comments