Wearing stylish scarves to hide imperfections


Last week I developed a lump behind my left ear which was rather tender. A visit to my GP (which had been initially scheduled for a very different reason, as I will be soon travelling to Iran) resulted in a diagnosis of possible mild infection of the lymphatic nodes,  which usually clears up on its own.  Painkillers such as ibuprofen are enough.  The lump was not so innocuous after all and grew into a large swelling in the parotid and also in my throat, right below the jawline. I found myself unable to chew. I went back to the surgery and was seen by a different doctor who prescribed amoxicillin, tentatively diagnosing parotitis. 'But check with your dentist' she said. "It could be a dental issue'.
I called up my dentist, and she was able to see me that very afternoon. By then the swelling was considerable. She said there was no dental issue but suggested I should take metronidazole together with amoxicillin. I continued to take ibuprofen because antibiotics do nothing for the pain.
The following day I was so sick, unable to eat, and feeling like death. The antibiotics did not seem to have much effect, my face was very swollen. I panicked, being Good Friday, normal surgery was closed but going to A&E seemed excessive.  I was able to book an emergency appointment at my surgery, and the doctor who saw me put me on a different antibiotic, flucloxacillin, which I need to take in conjunction with metronidazole and for seven days. Like her colleague before her, this doctor too was unable to confirm a diagnosis but thought that the antibiotics would help. Now I am scheduled for a blood test and have another visit next week. I am leaving on Monday week so by then everything should be in order,  I sincerely hope so.
Except that...
My parotitis (if it is parotitis) looks and feels like mumps.  It is only on one side, rather than both, but my current resemblance to a hamster, so typical of mumps, is uncanny.
The problem with it is that I had mumps as a child and I am meant to be immune. However, there has been a resurgence of mumps cases among adults and sometimes, though not often, people can catch it twice - I have been reading medical journal articles through PubMed.
There is no way of telling unless I do a test of my saliva but where can I do that on a Bank Holiday Weekend? I am unwell, but I am not dying! A&E is definitely only for life-threatening cases. Imagine turning up asking to have a saliva test! 
What troubles me, however,  is that taking antibiotics for a viral infection, such as mumps, is useless. But what if it is not mumps? Then antibiotics are my only option. Not to mention that if I really have mumps, I cannot go out and infect others, so I am homebound, out of social responsibility - on a beautiful, warm and sunny day! (which is why I am reading PubMed articles).  Fortunately, by Tuesday, if it is mumps, I will no longer need to be isolated, and if it is not,  the antibiotics should have done their job. 
From Pinterest

All this brings me to the main point of this post, which is not about medical issues but about fashion and style. After all, I am no medical doctor, though I am a doctor,; however, I rarely use my academic title. The swelling might take a little longer than Tuesday to subside, and I really do not like my (half) hamster face! What's the solution? Easy. Some stylish scarves, tied in such a way as to cover the cheeks, can do the trick. I have also developed a mild rash on my neck - all these antibiotics, I hate taking them - so I am happy to cover it up.  I have been browsing, and yes, this will be an opportunity for me to wear all my scarves. Covering the swelling will also have the added benefit of protecting my ears which need to be kept warm - I feel a throbbing pain in my left ear.
I am actually quite excited by it.  To get inspiration on how to tie my scarf, I have looked at this website and also Pinterest - the 1950s were the decade of the scarf! Think Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor or even Queen Elizabeth II. 


And since I will be travelling to Iran, where women have to cover their head anyway, there are also a few hijab styles that might suit - The Tehran Times can be looked up for ideas.
By the time I am back my face will have lost its hamster look - as they say, there is always a silver lining. The main thing is to stop feeling nauseous and to bring the fever down. 
Happy Easter to you all. I posted my greetings on Instagram with a beautiful image of Catherine the Great Fabergé Easter Egg, now in a museum collection and utterly breathtaking.
One of these days I will write about the issue of owning artworks at home and/or making them available to everyone by placing them in galleries and museums. Till then.



( I will take a break from blogging from next week and while in Iran I will also not post on social media, but I will be back mid-May with numerous photographs. I do not have a great camera; however, Iran is such a photogenic country, it will not matter) 

Comments