For Mahsa Amini

 





Mahsa Amini, 22 , died in police custody in Iran, on 16th September,  beaten up for wearing her hijab loosely. Protests in Iran are mounting and many women have taken to the street to demonstrate, cutting their hair as an act of defiance.

I visited Iran in 2019. It's a beautiful country and Iranian women are indeed very brave. When I returned,  I wrote a piece for the online magazine Vestoj, "Drop it low" based on my observations of how Iranian women relate to the compulsory hijab. You will find it if you navigate to the Vestoj site by clicking this link . I support the fight of Iranian women.

 Wearing a hijab should be a choice, not a compulsion. I too had to wear one while visiting Iran, even though I am not Muslim, it was the only way I could walk around, it was a requirement upon entering the country.

"Most Iranians reject the mandatory nature of religious regulations, saying hijab-wearing is a woman’s choice. An independent survey in 2020 found that 72% opposed compulsory hijab. Following Amini’s death, civil society organisations and celebrities have called for reform. Some religious leaders admit the law discredits Islam" (The Observer).

I dedicate my post to the very brave Mahsa Amini.



Comments