Photographic reconstructions

Not too long ago I was involved in a  reconstruction of Helmut Newton's Naked and Dressed. (Sie Kommen) Stuart Bentley was the photographer. We also did another couple of shots inspired by Newton. Indeed Newton is  iconic, at some point or another many photographers involved in art nude will have a go at making work at the very least influenced by Newton. The idea of a slightly flawed body, for example, is Newton-derived and I personally find it fascinating.

But let's consider this idea of reconstructing a photographic work. My background is in art and archaeology, so I am very au fait with the idea of reconstruction. I have also been teaching performance  theory for some years and in dance one of the main issues is that of remaking  someone's work i.e. recreating it, representing it, reinterpreting it, even reviving it.

Reconstruction is a most familiar concept in archaeology. Many people would say that this is what archaeology is about: through digging and piecing things together the past is reconstructed. But how does this reconstruction take place? The 1990s saw a revolution in archaeology, troubling its tenets of supreme objectivity. Archaeologists began to talk about subjectivity and multiplicity of interpretations  as a myth.


 Former Guggenheim Foundation Fellow Muriel Topaz has asked very pertinent questions with regard to the act of reconstruction , in particular "authentic restaging" of dance . How do we capture style, she asks. Does a reconstructor have the right to change the choreography?  what can each new performer legitimately bring to a role? what is the performer's appropriate contribution to the reconstruction?

I think such questions have a value in photographic reconstructions. Let's look briefly at the Newton's reconstruction I did with Stuart. The first thing to note is that Stuart decided to work with a mature model. "I interpret Newton's depiction of sensuality as referring to mature sensuality. Thus I want a mature model in my reconstruction" . This is what he told me in his first email which led to my booking. Next was the decision to use only one model in four different poses to achieve the effect of four models posing together, as in the original - this was the result of photoshopping. So Stuart acted like a reconstructor who changes the details of the choreography, in Muriel Topaz' terms. What about the performer's contribution? The performer is me, in this instance. What I felt was that what was required of me was not simply copying the attitudes of the four models but to project a viable interpretation of their mood. I knew that one of the models had a fierce expression and I did my best to re-embody that. The most important element of the composition, in my view,  was the dynamism of the walk and I tried hard to convery that  dynamism.


Stuart Bentley, as photographer and director, imparted and I,  as model/performer, portrayed the meaning of each attitude and gesture in relation to the whole. The reconstruction firmly remains an interpretation, located in the 21st century. But that is the nature of reconstruction on the whole.




Comments

  1. I love this composite b&w of you Alex ... most gorgeous, the starkness of the white background, just adds to the magnificence of your womanly (& bodily) presence. Raw, powerful sensuality, as only you can depict/portray.

    I know I've mentioned this b4, but you are so uncannily like a most beautiful & gorgeous "older, mature" woman I had the good fortune to know most intimately in relationship, and remain powerful friends to this day ... you remind me of such beauty in so many ways, as I said, its uncanny.

    All the best with this blog of yours ... you obviously have much artistic wisdom/knowledge to share, and the beauty of you is a bonus IMHO. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your own efforts in the vein of reconstruction, artistic archaeology, as it were. I wonder how many people realize how much of science is interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David and Anonymous. David your comments are very kind and most flattering and I am happy that my photographs bring you some pleasure. Anonymous, artist archaeology is something all artists, to some extent, engage in. Interpretation is both an art and a science, as you so rightly put it. What most intrigues me is its open-endedness and the unlimited number of possibilities it affords.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classical musicians deal with "reconstruction" issues all the time--unless they're playing a brand-new work, and that happens very seldom these days. :(

    There have been several schools of thought about this over the last hundred years or so. One school is the Leopold Stokowski school: the notes in the musical score are only a blueprint, subject to change if the musicians feel it's necessary. Another is the Arturo Toscanini school: the notes are supreme, and effective performance is playing so that every note is heard, in time and as written. (It should be noted, though, that even Toscanini might change the written notes on occasion.) More recently, there has been the Period Instrument movement, which says that it's not enough to play the notes accurately: we must also try to recreate the sounds the original audiences might have heard, by thorough research into performance practices and by using instruments that are either actual ancient instruments or duplicates of old instruments.

    All these various schools of interpretation claim to be "reconstructing" musical masterworks. Which method is the most valid? I don't think that question will ever be answered to everyone's satisfaction, musicians or audiences.

    (In my own playing I try to take a balanced approach. I generally play the notes as written, with tempo and dynamics as much as written as possible; yet I am also aware that what comes out is uniquely me, because I can't help putting my own personality into the playing. Music without personality is music without a muse.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great body, very erotic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment