Revival of dressmaking

From a recent shoot with photographer Muir Vidler

I speak with my sister quite often.  Recently  she told me she was having a dress made. She sent me through What'sApp a photo and a link to the dressmaker's atelier, whom she learnt about from a friend of a friend. It is a small outfit near Turin, they even have a website and they do menswear too. Why are you having a dress made, I asked my sis, what is the occasion? None, she replied. I had this great piece of silk  and wanted to wear it. Also, to be honest, I am totally fed up with walking into shops and finding that nothing fits me properly. I wanted something that was just for me.
My sister is tall and curvy, not overweight, just curvy. But she is right about standard sizes, I am also in between sizes and I hate it when a dress I like does not fit me well.
I felt inspired.  There must be one or two  dressmakers in London too, I thought. I started a Google search and various names came up. Then by serendipity I found one tucked away in a street near my dentist's. I would have never thought of going to that particular street, my dentist is not located in a fashionable area, but I happened to be early for my appointment so I thought of going to the nearby supermarket to get a few groceries, rather than sit in the waiting room,  and there it was, this small  shop with a few manikins in the window, The London Dressmaker.   I should not call it shop, really, it is a small atelier. I have not yet checked it out properly, I saw a few people waiting in there. I found it  online and though there is no website the dressmaker, Victoria,  has a Yell entry and five star reviews.

The Time in Between Seams

But my Google search alerted me to the existence of a relatively new phenomenon, sewing. Yes, sewing is back in a big way. Many women (and some men too) are taking up sewing as a hobby. It is apparently very therapeutic and there is the satisfaction of wearing something you have made yourself.  I was really intrigued to read that in Spain  the TV drama series The time in between seams ,about a beautiful seamstress turned spy,  did wonders for the sale of sewing machines, it just made thousands of women decide that dressmaking was a cool thing to do and there was a proliferation of classes and workshops. 
I must say I also feel quite inspired to join the club. There are online tutorials but maybe an actual class might be better suited.
Once again one is spoilt for choice. A short course at London College of Fashion will set you back more or less £500 but there are other, perhaps less prestigious, but cheaper options. I am not planning to turn myself into a fashion designer - but you never know, I am currently a Grey model, I might launch a Grey Fashion  and then model my very own clothes!
I have a sewing machine, I just need to make better use of it. So watch this space. As soon as I complete my current writing project, I shall get started. Meanwhile I shall also dust up my knitting skills. But that's another story and another post.

Comments