Becoming a grandmother

Not my granddaughter: this is a baby model wearing a cute deer set available here

My life has changed, I am now a grandmother, my son's daughter was born on 17th December and since then I have basically become a different person. I am not allowed to put up any picture of her, her parents would rather not, so I won't (I wish I could, she is absolutely gorgeous). In any case, I am wise enough to realise that unless you are a close family member,  all bent on spotting resemblances, all newborn babies tend to look quite the same!   But if it is your own child or your grandchild, they are just special and of course, the most beautiful baby ever. and whatever they do is of the utmost importance!
I only met my granddaughter last week, she was born in Paris, whereas I live in London. It was not feasible for me to go to Paris straight away so I had to wait for the three of them to come back, and they finally did, travelling on the Eurostar.
Until then it had been a flurry of WhatsApp messages and pictures of my lovely granddaughter- sleeping, mostly, but there is an adorable video of her turning her head towards her dad as soon as she hears his voice - newborn cannot focus very well, but have a fine ear for voices. My favourite is of her resting on her dad's chest, a few hours after she was born (by c-section), her mother still groggy from the anaesthetic. Livia (my grandaughter) looks so tiny! Suddenly she gives out a sigh; she is so vulnerable in that little video, and yet so strong.
I said I had become a different person and indeed I think and feel differently. Livia has turned me into an avid crocheter and knitter  - I have already made her two baby dresses,  a baby jacket a  nappy cover and more to come, as I get increasingly confident with my crochet and knitting. I never did anything of the sort for my son when he was a baby, but those were different times. I must admit I am extremely happy to have a granddaughter rather than a grandson, if only because I never had a daughter. It makes a change.
Having a grandchild has made me more aware of my mortality; I am fortunate she was born while I am still alive.  I never met any of my grandparents, they died long before I was born. I did however have a granny substitute,  she was a distant relative.


Another baby model wearing a lovely outfit available here

It' s intriguing to see little Livia adjusting to the world around her. Birth must be extremely traumatic as an experience and it is a good thing that we do not remember anything of those moments and the first year(s) of our life. Livia sleeps a lot, eats and poos and then starts all over again. But all the time she is getting used to her new environment and there is a lot for her to process.
I occasionally wonder whether we will bond. I was bowled over when I held her; she knew I was a new person, someone she had not yet met and was intrigued. I sang to her, bounced her a little and just loved looking at her. She fills me with joy.
 There are many things I would like to tell her and show her. She is fortunate to have loving parents who will take care of her and bring her up to be a strong and independent woman. At the same time, I cannot help fearing for the challenges ahead. Our world is not getting any better...
Being a paternal grandmother also inevitably puts you in a secondary position. Most women tend to be closer to their mother, thus maternal grandmothers are around a lot more. Not to worry.
Nothing more to say or report except that I am very happy with my new status.
The novelty will wear off but not the love.

Comments

  1. Yeppers Alex, as a grandfather of two boys "I know what you mean jellybean"...The last activity I had with them was at the youngest,(age 9) baseball tourney a mouth or so back where I wore out a 32 gig CD card taking pic's. His team kicked booty BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! yes, I am happy to have joined this club...

      Delete

Post a Comment